Saturday, July 26, 2008

A Man's Job

Well the honeymoon with our van is over. I was at the grocery store yesterday and had just loaded the back up with food and tried to start the engine only to find the battery was dead. As it happened my cell phone battery was also dead.

So I'm stranded at the grocery store with Spencer and warming groceries while Lauren is at school. Fortunately Ben believes in being prepared and had purchased a tool set for the van which included jumper cables. I stopped a woman parked near me and asked if she could help jump start my car. She was dressed in a nice business suit and said she had to be to work in ten minutes but could help if it was quick. She also mentioned never jump starting a car before and I had to help her find her battery. I vaguely remember a demonstration in Young Womens about jump starting a car, so I got the owner's manual out just to be sure we didn't blow anything up. The car started up right away and we unhooked everything without incident. As we were closing the hoods of our respective automobiles a little old man comes up and says "You ladies did a man's job admirably. You deserve an 'at a boy!'"

The car is currently back at the dealership where they are replacing the battery and have determined something isn't right with the transmission, which they will fix too. We won't get it back until Monday so it's back to the Accord again. As long as they get everything fixed up I'm happy I guess. At least I know I can jump the battery if need be and I will not let my cell phone die again. Thanks to Ben for being prepared and for my friend Debi who helped me get Lauren from school.

2 comments:

Marylois said...

What an adventure. If only the old man had shown up sooner he could have helped!

Kristin said...

The car and the phone at the same time? Ugh! Kind of like when we were out late the other night returning a movie to the libraray and just as Tim realized he was not driving with his headlights on. .. so did a cop. Tim also had just realized he didn't have his wallet. Bad timing all a round. The cop was VERY nice and didn't fine us at all. Bad things happen but thankfull God seems to give us breaks too in the form of nice cops and nice ladies in business suits huh?