Friday, September 12, 2008

How to Potty Train a Boy

Potty training a boy is one of those things that you achieve but don't know how you did it. Spencer is almost competely potty trained and night times may be soon to follow and I have no idea how it happened.

I've been working with him since March with various incentives. Finally I realized that he and I were both too lazy to do pullups so I basically just put him in underpants all day long and took him to the bathroom and cleaned up any messes that happened. Last Friday was the worst day. He had an accident on the couch, in the car, at Lauren's school, in the bathroom at home, on the floor. . .I was so close to just throwing in the towel and putting him back in diapers that day.

I have been very inconsistent with Spencer's potty training (morning sickness, laziness, unmotivated etc) but fortunately I decided to stick with it that day. Now my insistence on underpants has paid off and Spencer has potty trained himself. Yesterday he went to the bathroom all by himself and I didn't even know he needed to go until I heard him washing his hands. He had done everything perfectly, except put his underpants back on.

This morning I woke up at 6 am to the sound of Spencer running into my bathroom, turning on the light and then coming to me in bed saying he needed to go pee. The only reason he didn't go himself was he couldn't undo the snaps on his PJs. I can tell now when he has to go because he has learned to hold it and does a little pee pee dance. Number 2 may still be a bit of work, but I'm so thrilled that he can do it himself and really all I had to do was make him wear underpants all day long. So there you go. You want to potty train a boy just make him wear underwear all day long and plan on cleaning up lots and lots of accidents.

Here is a video of Spencer talking about his underpants. Please excuse the gesture that he makes at the end. I didn't notice it until I watched the video on the computer, but it's so funny! If you have difficulty understanding, the two pairs of underpants he has on have Buzz Lightyear and WALL-E on them.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Congratulations...I need to buckle down and do the same for Sam. I am just so worn out from the other three I am in no hurry to start it over again. I found the same to be true with my kids. I think it takes the commitment on our part that wearing underwear takes. If we know they aren't wearing pull ups we are going to be more insistent that they try to go potty OFTEN! I have to put them in Underwear and it may take a loooong time..I started Lincoln in January and he didn't give in to doing #2 in the potty until September but #1 was learned pretty quick. Thanks for the inspiration.

Marylois said...

I never like pull-ups. You kids just thought of them as fancy diapers. Underwear is the only way to go and make sure you have lots of vinegar water to help with cleaning up the accidents! Way to go Buzz and Wall-e!

Unknown said...

hee hee i saw that at the end/

Rebekah said...

Pull-ups are just fancy diapers. I have a bunch now that Spencer uses at night. The handy thing about them is in the morning I can just look and tell if he is dry, but other than that they did not help the potty training. I also have 64 size 6 diapers that I'm not sure what to do with. Perhaps I'll save them for the baby or just give them away.

EZ said...

I cracked up!! Little kid is just counting. phfft!!

EZ said...

heh, this video is how my roommates identify which nephew is who