Lauren and I needed new summer hats to block the strong sun rays we get here in Southern California. We first went to Target and found a great straw paper hat for me. It has a huge brim and I know Ben will make fun of me in it, but I don't care. I like it very much and it will fully block the sun from my face.
The children's hat selection was horrible. They only had one style in Lauren's size and they were caps with really short brims. Clearly more for fashion purposes with no intention of skin protection. Essentially all those hats do is make your head sweaty.
We then walked over to Mervyns next door. To my great delight I discovered Mervyns was in the throws of a storewide 75% off Clearance. My favorite time to shop! They had tons of racks marked $2, $4, $6, $8, and $10. I was so ready to start looking for cute stuff, but then the angry quarreling of the children reminded me I was here looking for a hat.

Not one child's hat did we find until I looked at a rack by the checkout which was loaded with items to be reshelved. On top was hanging a cute little paper straw hat. I pulled it off and asked Lauren what she thought. It fit her pretty well and had a wide brim. She liked it except for the pink accessories. Well for $2 I wasn't going to turn it down so I told Lauren we could remake it at home. She readily accepted that idea.
All the way home I thought of Lydia Bennet. "Look here, I have bought this bonnet. I do not think it is very pretty; but I thought I might as well buy it as not. I shall pull it to pieces as soon as I get home, and see if I can make it up any better."
Here is what the hat looked like after being pulled to pieces.


6 comments:
I thought of Lydia too with your comments. At least you don't have a regiment that is leaving :D Very cute remake. I didn't know Lauren doesn't like pink.
It's perfect! But where's your picture of you in your hat?
Lauren does like pink, but she prefers blue. Ironically she is wearing a pink shirt and pink pants in the picture.
I'll have to put up a picture of me in my hat soon. Lauren doesn't take good pictures like Emma. ;)
Lauren is such a cutie. She sure is growing up. What beautiful long hair she has. Elisabeth for some reason takes FOREVER to grow out her hair. Great hat too!You are sure creative.
Nice hat! Great price. Lauren is so pretty.
Cute hat! Wish I was there to stroll through Mervyn's with you! :)
Your hotel/apartment stories were SO indicative of the Irvine Co. They are lovely folks aren't they? All I have to say is ... Thank God Almighty I'm Free at Last!! :)
And I'm taking your post challenge on the spouse tag... check my blog tonight.
Post a Comment