Thursday, April 24, 2008

Eight Years



On Tuesday Ben and I celebrated our eigth anniversary. I can't believe we have known each other for almost 10 years! It was a simple day, but I had fun. We had a really nice lunch together sans children and then did a little shopping, mostly for a certain girl’s birthday party coming up.

I told Ben that the customary gift for this anniversary is knives. He complied. I now have a wonderful set of Wusthof Trident kitchen knives. They came with a free hand-held sharpener, free sharpening steel, and a wood storage block that I had to send in for. I'm so excited to prep veggies and meats with these knives. I took out the chef's knife on Tuesday and sliced up an apple. I was actually kind of scared to think that such knives were now in my home. The first set we had I don't consider real knives. They were nice and useful. . .but not like these knives. I figured after eight years of meal prep and with several more in the future I deserve some really nice knives. I confess I feel almost like I've brought a gun into the house though. I have put the knives away and hidden them until the storage block comes because I'm too scared to have them anywhere. Spencer saw them and said, "Link sword!" He was referring to the sharpening steel, which he has taken a fancy too. I think these knives will be kept in a cupboard until we have more counter space to hide them on.

For anyone interested the traditional gift for the eighth anniversary is bronze/rubber and the modern gift is linens. I'm sticking with my knives.

5 comments:

Marylois said...

are the knives the traditional 10 year gift so you can do each other in? By the way, I thought about you that day and tried to send you an ecard but couldn't get the site to warm up for me :o(. Then I got too busy getting things ready to head out for Andrew's graduation. I'm here at Matthew and Kristi's now.

Rebekah said...

Ah yes, the graduation tour. Hmmm. . .what if I said Lauren was graduating from being four next week, would you come visit? ;)

Kristin said...

Great picture of you guys! Congratulations on 8 years. I guess we are hitting 12 this year. CRAZY! Time fly when you are having fun huh? What are the customary and traditional gifts for 12 years anyway? The "Link Sword" comment would have made me a little nervous too. Good thing to keep those out of reach indeed.

Rebekah said...

Check out this wikipedia entry. It also lists American vs British traditional gifts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_anniversary
Looks like you'll be getting silks or pearls.

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary!